Friday, March 17, 2006

Comedy is cathartic

Had my third show of "gorilla theatre" with Edge Improv tonight - a much smaller crowd than the jam-packed last two weeks (where we've actually had to turn people away at the door....I can honestly say I've NEVER been in a show where that's happened) and have returned to the house abuzz while the rest of ye ole family lies unconscious.

I really believe that having kids has allowed my performance skills to improve dramatically (no pun intended) for several reasons:

1. Every chance to perform is a chance to get out of the house. Ergo, I have fun.

2. I no longer stress so much about whether the audience will like me or not, because at the end of the day, what do I really care? I've got an awesome family who think I'm the funniest person on the planet.

3. After the indignity of childbirth, I have no fear of looking stupid on-stage. Actually, I pretty much have no fear at all. (That's actually not entirely true, but you get the sentiment). As my mate Sarah said to me 'after giving birth I think I could fall head over heel in the middle of the mall with all my bits showing and not even bat an eyelid.'

Ehem. Where was I?

Last year I performed in another improv show with Edge, one which included a half-hour fully improvised live sci-fi movie where I got to play the 'evil kid'. I had so much fun with that role, and some time later after watching it back on DVD my fellow improviser Colin e-mailed me saying 'I had no idea how much you embraced the character of Angus.....your kids must be terrifying.' If only he knew......moiahahahahahahhaha.

Anyway, if you're in Brissie and haven't already been part of the ape-like merriment, then make sure you get along to see 'gorilla theatre'. It's hilariously funny people doing hilariously funny things. Next week's my last show, too, so get cracking! www.edgeimprov.com

See? Check out the photo again. Doesn't it look fun? Mildly painful perhaps, but compared to an episiotomy, it's a walk in the park.

4 comments:

TimT said...

I'm not sure what 'Episiotomy' means, but to me, it sounds like 'A piece of me.' As in, 'Do you want a piece of me'?

I can just picture it, you in hospital screaming at the doctors, "Do you want an episiotomy? DO YOU WANT AN EPISIOTOMY? JUST YOU TRY IT, YOU FUCKERS!!!"

Actually, no. Ha ha. I can't picture that at all. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

Jenny Wynter said...

I guess it could be argued that having a very tender part of the anatomy sliced with a scalpel (i.e. to make more room for baby's head, if you get my drift) does indeed involve giving a piece of oneself (some might say that piece is actual flesh, me, I'd say it's just plain dignity).

That said, I should come clean and admit I never had to have one. Thank heavens. But if I do next time around, at least I'll know what to scream. TimT, take a bow.

TimT said...

Oh, I don't know. It's all in the delivery. BOOM-TISH!

*Ducks amindst a hail of rotten tomatoes and moudly apples*

Jenny Wynter said...

Hope you've got some Napisan.

"Boom-tish!" now THAT's the expression I've always wanted to use, but have always had to resort to the lame 'ba-doom-tink' alternative. More than a commenter, you're an inspiration. Cheers.