Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The girlies do the Oscars

Four girls, one awards night and umpteen packets of chocolate. What more could you want?

Yes, myself, sister Ang, and mummies-in-crime Frankie & Mango Lick gathered ourselves round ye ole television set to embark in an onslought of vocal bitchiness.

It wasn't all nasty. On the positive side, we were touched and saddened to see that Mr Miyagi died, as well as that freaky guy from Ghost. And though Phillip Seymour Hoffman's speech started off a little rocky, he more than redeemed himself by giving heartfelt thanks to his mother who "raised four kids alone, and that deserves congratulations." I was already a PSH fan before that, now I'm an official convert.

However most of the evening comprised us using our mouths - either to stuff food into or hurl insults out of. Insert-shameless-Sex and the City-reference: I couldn't help but wonder, is that all we watch The Oscars for?

Among our catty pearls of wisdom:

J-Lo: "Oh the hair...send the woman some Panadol!"

Charlize Theron: "At least she can use it as a pillow when she gets bored."

Dolly Parton: "Holy CWA. She sounds like an old woman singing on helium."

Keanu Reeves: "He looks like he's been stung by something."

Lauren Bacall: "She looks completely drugged...okay, we'd better not be too mean in case she has some disease. I'll google her, and then be mean."

Salma Hayek: "Is she putting on that accent? She looks hot, but her gown looks like she's a breastfeeding woman who's only emptied one side."

Jake Gyllenhaal: "So cute but that hair: he's like a Ventriloquists' puppet."

The musical presentation from Crash: "Slow motion interpretive dance? It's a high school production with a big budget."

Gees we're nasty. We agreed that we were. But then we also agreed that seeing as they all get millions of dollars they can probably use a bit of humbling from a few women in Brisbane, Australia. We sure showed them, huh? HUH?!

6 comments:

Gemnastics said...

I thought PSH seemed a little...high. A bit sniffy around the nasal if u know what I mean.

Good call with that 'Crash' song. Max's remark: "What is this, the Rock Eisteddford?"

Welcome to blogger girl!!!!!

Jenny Wynter said...

Why thank you my dear. I'm feelin' quite at home already.

And I had the same funny feeling about a few of the noses on the red carpet. It struck me as quite funny when the whole Kate Moss fuss exploded, like 'shock horror, you mean celebrities do drugs?!?!?!'

Miss Construed... said...

I did the traditional 'ignore the news update every hour/fingers in ears/ singing lalalalala' lest I should hear the words "best movie went to..." announcement- while my Hubby chased me around mouthing things like Capote and Brokeback Mountain. Not that I was looking at him...or that he got much of it right.

Thought Dolly was tragic- I loved her in Best Little Whorehouse.

Felt sad for the Ghost-guy too, and the guy from Green Acres. What WAS his name??

Lily Tomlin and Meryl? Early stages of Alzheimers I'm afraid. And poor Lauren Bacall; looking at the footage of all those dead co-stars must make her feel even more ancient-er.

I admit it I was mean too. Go back to Hick-Town Reese!

Sent my sister an sms every ad break. Oscar Freaks one and all- unite.

Jenny Wynter said...

I've seriously got some weird voodoo thing on me that means I can NEVER EVER watch an Oscars without accidentally stumbling onto Best Actor beforehand. Seriously. I avoid all media all day, then without a doubt either:

- someone will tell me
- I will check my e-mail and see it on the yahoo homepage
or
- as happened many years ago, I finally made it to the start of the show, sat down, turned on the telly only to see channel nine's promo: "And coming up next, the Oscars!"
CUT TO:
Susan Sarandon: "geoffrey rush for Shine!"

Drives me NUTS!

Anonymous said...

All in all one of the best oscars movie wise but I thought Jokam (I cannot spell or say his tho I love him til I die) should have got something for Walk the Line. That movie rocks and is about the power of redemptive love which Reese did a good job of even though she looks and talks like she was weaned on grits and shortnin bread. I laughed out loud at your birthday column Jenny - partic the pic of you when your bday was forgotten. I've tortured boyfriends of mine for forgetting mine but not as sweetly as you! Never forget the year I got a motorbike helmet for my birthday - I just cried in response and not in a good way.

Oscar red carpet clothes - where are the alternative girlies goddammit! It was all so trad - I pine for Maggie Gyllenhal and Zooey Dushanel (or whatever). And I thought Jon Stewart was funny - though lots of Australian's obviously don't get satire....check out his Weekly Daily Show on SBS sometime it will make you believe in Americans again.

Love your chuckling fan, Vivienne

Jenny Wynter said...

Thanks Viv! I thought Jon Stewart was hilarious - one of the best hosts ever, in my not-so-humble opinion.

*clapping hands*
I do believe in Americans...
I do believe in Americans...