Friday, January 19, 2007

Losing my blogging mojo

So I could bore you with the endless visa dramas we're encountering at the moment, how no matter how many websites we scour, e-mails we send, people we talk to and phone calls we make, it's almost impossible to get a straight answer to our questions and thus we find oursevles left in limbo land plans-wise. How at this stage, we may be overseas as early as April, or as late as the end of the year. How we might be in the UK or Canada or the USA.

But I won't. Firstly because it seems incredibly diva-ish to even whinge about options which are so incredibly exciting, and secondly, because I've got something far more indulgent to whinge about: the loss of my blogging mojo.

There used to be a time, let's call it The Honeymoon, when I would reign myself in from blogging too much, such was the strength of my addiction. But lately I've been scratching my head and wondering what the hell I should even blog about - and I think I've figured out why.

1. I've been blogging now for almost two years - 2005 on Vibewire, and then 2006 on Comic Mummy. Maybe like all relationships, we've hit a point where the initial fiery passion has worn out a little bit and we're now at the more 'settled' stage of our day-to-day cohabitation.

2. What started out as much more of a personal blog, has now evolved so much - both in content and in readership - that it has left me constantly second-guessing and censoring myself i.e. I don't write the personal stuff so much anymore for fear that a producer will choose that day to check out my site. It has happened (i.e. not the two events colliding - touch wood - but industry and professional people do check out this site and thus my awareness of the need to keep it all appropriate is pretty justified.)

I mean, when I started blogging at Vibewire, I had literally only just started getting back into performing again, whereas now it's pretty much 95% of my career. Things are going well. But in short, my reasons for blogging, and I guess the life I lead (and therefore blog about) has changed.

On the upside, I absolutely LOVE the fact that people read what I have to write. I don't understand why anybody would really care enough to come back time and time again, but for whatever reasons, there's a fair few of you guys who do, and whether you comment, lurk or just occasionally check in, thanks heaps. With 100% honesty, you should know that since I've been feeling this lack of blog enthusiasm, that really has been the only reason I've kept posting: because I know that people are checking the site and continuing to read what I put on it. So kudos to you!!

Look at me, I'm a blogging cliche.

Anyway, the point is, I'm sure that what I'm feeling is just a seasonal dip in a blogging lifetime. I shall look forward to more long walks on the cyber-beach and some virtual candle-lit dinners, so we can get our mojo back. Baby.

No comments: