Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Uncomfortably Numb

A dear friend of mine has died.

I am not disclosing his details until enough time has passed that people who knew him have heard the shocking news via a medium other than a blog.

I'm having trouble organising my thoughts.

I went to the dentist this morning, got a filling and then straight after I walked out the door, turned my phone on and received the news via text message. I stood there, just saying "What? What? WHAT?" just staring at my phone and yelling it over and over while the odd passer-by looked uncomfortable.

As I started making phone calls and walking to nowhere in particular, it struck me that I - in grand human tradition - am only realising how much he really meant to me, now that he is gone.

The dentist, then this.

I am truly numb.

7 comments:

Girl Clumsy said...

Hi CM...

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I never know what to say at these times; but I don't think there's really anything anyone can say. Grief often seems to be the most indescribable of emotions.

I guess the only thing we can hold onto in these times is the fact we were blessed in knowing the person in the first place.

Nat.

Miss Construed... said...

Hey Jen

How awful; sorry to hear about your loss.

My Best thoughts are with you at this difficult time....

x

Sandra Davis said...

Jenny

I am feeling the same numbness. I am in total shock and have been blown away by the news. I must have received the same text you did.

I was lucky to have spent time with him on Saturday night. He was in good spirits and it was a lovely night.

There are not enough good people in the world for us to afford losing this one.

Take Care
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear this - sending lots of sympathy your way.

Cazzie!!! said...

Well CM, your mate must have been way cool, because you cared for them. They were lucky to have known you, and perhaps you have learnt something from them in life? Huggs to you at this time.

Sharpie said...

Very sorry to hear this news!! It is very sad to lose a friend.

Louise said...

A little late on this one, but I too am really sorry to hear your news. Nothing can be said in these situations that makes it feel any less painful, but knowing that people out there are thinking about you might help a little. Good luck for the gig, I'm sure you'll make it through just fine, even though it may feel like it is killing you on the inside.

Hugs
Lou