Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Things that are hard to understand #173 - Fans

Josh Thomas, a darn good chummy of mine (and last year's National Raw Comedy Winner, for those of you who don't know) and I had a conversation not that long ago that went something like this...

Me: "I got an e-mail yesterday from this woman who sounded like she knew me, but I have no idea who it was."

Josh: "Have you met her?"

Me: "I don't think so. I think she might have come to Livewired last week."

Josh: "Oh! So it's a fan."

Me: "A fan? Huh?"

A moment of looking bemused.

Me: "Well, yeah I guess it was."

It's so bizarre to wrap one's head around the concept of having fans. Not in a 'oh WOW man, I like...am totally popular' (I hardly have the numbers to start up the Wynterland of Love Club) but it just spins me out even to have a couple...well, apparently 338 of them if Myspace's Comedian Stats are to be believed. And if they are, well then I'm truly excited - if only cos I know there's less than 338 people in my family.

Joshy, on the other hand, didn't seem even the slightest bit surprised about the whole concept - I can't believe he's so young and yet so darn professionalised. Spin. Out. I'm just waiting for him to release his great cathartic comedy record in a few years time about his battle wounds from blitzing the comedy scene so young:

"God help me...I was only nineteen."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I be your 339th official fan Jen?

3's and 9's are good for me.

rn_buffoon

Jenny Wynter said...

Are you kidding? I think you're likely to be up amongst the first!!! You've known me since I was down and out and...okay, I'm getting a little melodramatic (who? me?) but the point is, you're one of the originals.

And I won't forget it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Jen! :)

(The only fans journalists get are imaginary ones. ;))

Anonymous said...

I'm sure if I could see your show I'd be a fan too!

Jenny Wynter said...

Rachel - that's not true. I'm your fan: case in point. :-)

Kristen - haha, that's very kind of you to say, but you never know, it might have the opposite effect! Hopefully I'll do a US stint again soon and we can actually find out...

Anonymous said...

Nah, you're not my fan, you're my friend! Completely different category :)