Friday, February 23, 2007

On my last day of being 27

On the eve of turning 28, I contemplate my life thus far and consider the things I have and haven't done. Such as...

I haven't:
- won even one of the zillion Oscars I planned to win by 19;
- married Johnny Depp (then again, neither has the mother of his children, so nyah ni nyah ni nyah nyah); nor
- conquered the world, bought my beachfront mansion and retired to a leisurely life of surfing, drinking low carb martinis and doing obligatory charity work.

BUT...I have:
- married a fabulous, generous and wonderful man who puts up with living with a completely self-obsessed woman who thinks she's funny;
- started to make a living out of performing;
- been to New York!!!; and
- had two kids.
The latter is particularly noteworth given that it was completely unexpected: I remember announcing with massive bravado that I was never having kids til I was at least 33 - not realising at the time that I was actually already pregnant with Ella. Oops.

And while, sure, maybe I don't have the Oscars, Johnny or the life of luxury...well, just look at the little muppets.



See? Oscars might be nice, but they sure as hell can't smile at you, give you kisses or tell you they love you.
Then again, they never puke on you, wipe snot on your shoulder or expect you to wipe their asses, but for now let's just go with the schmaltzy perspective.
It is my b'day contemplation time, after all.

4 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Happy Birthday Jenn, hope it is a great day and that you forget half the night due to the takings of some bubbly :)

Anonymous said...

travel, a hubby, kids & a career, all before turning 28, what an awesome achievement, you go you awesome woman you.
i hope you have a superbly wonderful birthday : )

PS
i heard Damien made it through his first heat, yeah for Damien!!

: )
kazbar

leon and ash said...

guess by now yr actually 28. happy birthday dear. now, no one likes a bragger, but we're all rather impressed. once u penetrate the hard scaly hide of visa-land i'll be the first one on the fone 2 the UN.
have a killer day. LX&AX

Menchie said...

Your kids are adorable! And you're so right about the puke and the snot and everything. been there too. i mean, i'm STILL there.