Sunday, April 29, 2007

Humanity boiled down into toddlerdom

I feel like the whole 'why is the world in such a crazy state?' question was finally answered this morning.

I present to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, a 2-year-old boy:

Me: "Why do you throw things?"

Caleb: "YEAH! I throw! I superhero!"

Me: "Yeah, I know, but why do you do it?"

Caleb: "Cos...cos...cos...I do. I like it!"

Me: "Hmmmm. But when you throw things, you break them."

Caleb: "Yeah! Break them! I like breaking them!"

Me: "Errrrrrr....yes, but then when you break them, you don't get to play with them anymore, do you?"

Caleb: "Huh?"

Me: "They have to go in the bin."

Caleb: "Yeah, I know dat."

Me: "So why do you break them, then?"

Caleb: "BECAUSE!!!!!!!!!! I do!"

6 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Yep, and then, what I always said to my boys after that sort of thing, "Use your words instead of throwing things"...now, I am nbot so sure that is a good thing, coz they don;t shut up!! LOL

Anonymous said...

As pithy and lucid a summation of the condition of modern life as I have ever read. Your boy is evidently a Socrates in the making.

Anonymous said...

Then again, considering you're the one asking the questions, that would put you in the Socrates role.

Do you wake up in a cold sweat, possessed with an urge to wander the marketplace clad in a toga, stroking your beard, asking passers-by, 'Why is it so?' That would be the clincher.

Louise said...

Ah, the ol' "just coz" line...

Sadly that does not hold up in a court of law once the perpetrator has reached adulthood.

Jenny Wynter said...

Caz - Yeah, tried that, the problem is some of his favourite I'm-using-my-words-instead-of-throwing-things utterances are "SHUT UP!" and "SHIT!"

*crosses self*

Anon - Why thank you. You're not recruiting are you?

Anon - I certainly do have that urge, but I think it's less due to a Socratic nature and more due to sleep deprivation.

Louise - I certainly hope I never have to find that one out!!!

Cazzie!!! said...

PMSL, love it :)