Monday, April 02, 2007

You've won the battle, Spiderman, but not the war!

Caleb is OBSESSED with superheroes. It drives me nuts, namely cos:

- I have to pry his costumes off him using velcro, a pitchfork and chocolate.
- I'm just waiting for the day I'm rushing to hospital after he launches himself off the steps, crying "To Infinity, And Beyond!" (or more accurately "Dooo Fiinnny Blonde!")
- I can unwittingly cause the world's largest tantrum purely by addressing him by the wrong name.

But today was the last straw.

Caleb: "A spider bit me on my head!"

Me: "What? What kind of spider?"

Caleb: "SPIDER!" (crying)

Ella: "A green spider, actually no it was a black spider."

Me: "A Daddy Long Legs?"

Ella: "Hmmmmm. A Baby Long Legs."

I check him over - nothing. No marks, no swelling, not even a mozzie bite.

At this point, I'm wondering what's worse - the embarrassment of taking him to the hospital in a spiderman costume, asking them to check for spiderbites which it turns out are created by my son's over-active imagination, or how bad I'd feel if I didn't take him to the hospital and it turned out to be legitimate.

I weigh it up.

Embarrassment.

I chuck him in the shower, wash his hair thoroughly and check him over for again - nada. He seems happy enough and doesn't mention it again for hours...then of course, comes nap-time.

Caleb: "I can't sleep."

Me: "Why not?"

Caleb: "A spider bite me!"

Where's Venom when you need him?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids sound like the coolest ever!
If they can make stories up now, imagine how intelligent and awesome they are going to be!

-Sarah Morgan

Jenny Wynter said...

Thanks for looking on the bright side - for a moment I forgot it was there. xx

Miss Construed... said...

Hey Jen

I know this feeling all too well- except for my littlest the Superheroes are the Wiggles...

When we collect Hubby from work I'll sometimes let him sit in the front seat and pretend to drive. Call him Anything but Greg and there is a screaming fit-and I can't even tell you the tantrums that followed Greg's retirement!

And then there are the coloured t-shirts; don't even get me started!

Anonymous said...

Hey, good news about Canada!

What kind of job is Tim looking for?

And, are you planning on doing any shows in the Vancouver area?

Let me know, and I'll see if I can think anything up.

Jenny Wynter said...

rn_buffoon - That is of great comfort. I guess at least you can rotate the coloured shirts?!??!

aurora - Nice to hear from you. :-) Tim's looking for teaching work, he's a qualified Secondary School teacher (English, History, SOSE) with heaps of special needs experience too.

I'm sure I'll DEFINITELY do some shows in Vancouver at some stage during our trip - I'm dying to go there, as I've heard it's a beyond stunning city.

Thanks so much for your help!

Merrilee said...

Caleb was a little touchy the other day when I talked about him being Batman. Clearly I was interfering with his super-mojo?
I reckon those flashing superhero shoes are a stroke of marketing genius as well. I've seen kids have screaming fits if a parent dared to try and remove them.

Anonymous said...

An Open Letter To Spiderman
By Me, The Great Galactic Snake Monster

Dear Spidey,

Hey! How's it been, dude? It's been such a long time since we came to see you last, and wrestled for control of the Earth and all the puny mortals and all that. Sorry I almost ate you, but HEY! I am an intergalactic supervillain, and it is my job. HA!
So anyway, Spidey, me, Blackholeman, Smellyunderpantsman and the gang thought we'd come to visit you soon, and finish off that whole 'Conquering The Earth' thing we had going on. (Magneto was going to come, but he got stuck on a lamp post on Mars, so bang goes that idea. HA!). Get the cordial out, Spidey-man! Oooh, it's going to be so much fun, I can't wait to destroy New York/Brisbane/Toronto (insert your current place of residence here - HA!) and take control of the reigns, subjugating you pathetic mortals to a lifetime of fear and slavery! HA!
It's getting pretty boring here, let me tell you: Smellyunderpantsman keeps on telling Blackholeman that 'he stinks', and Blackholeman just tells Smellyunderpantsman that 'he sucks'. They're a pretty mixed up bunch of Supervillains, let me tell you. God, I wish I wasn't stuck on this starship with these two pathetic losers. I get so lonely...

So anyway, Spidey. Looking forward to seeing you once again! Vorb the Slime Man of Andromeda sends his love and wishes he were here too.

Sincerely,
The Great Galactic Snake Monster.

Anonymous said...

PS

In case you're wondering about why I mispelled 'take control of the reins' there, well - I didn't! As your coming intergalactic overlord, I GET TO MAKE ALL THE RULES UP! Isn't that sweet? HA!

- Snake Monster

Jenny Wynter said...

Mezz - I know, I'm dreading the day he grows out of them. *gulp*

Snake Monster - Spiderman had just one thing to say to your beautifully worded letter:

"DON'T CALL ME SPIDEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Welcome to my world.