Monday, May 28, 2007

The debut

I had a moment last night, right as my lovely stage-manager Shelly said "One minute to go, Jen," where I actually thought "Why am I doing this to myself?"

I still haven't found an answer, except maybe the adrenalin rush...let's just hope I don't build up an immunity. Anyway, the show went great as far as debuts go - had lots of fun, got lots of lovely feedback and sweated up a storm (I have GOT to get fit if I'm going to continue doing this stuff!) and apart from the fact that about forty people who RSVPd didn't show up - it was a really lovely rocking night.

I had fun, learned a lot about bits that work and bits that don't, and premiered three new characters, one of which (Beatta, the performance artist from New York) was so overwhelmingly popular that I was a little taken aback - I should mention that up until last week she was actually a Moscowian absurdist artist who was going to perform a Russian hoe-down, and in fact I was a little concerned that such an antagonistic persona might actually turn people off her.

Mrs Sorenson went down well too - I was really nervous about her making her on-stage debut too. She's become something of a cult figure on The Frog and Peach on ZZZ, thus I worried that anyone who did listen to the show might be a bit put-off by how different she looks from what they'd imagined in their head. But as soon as I stepped into her, she just took on a life of her own (as she does) and that actually became one of my favourite segments of the show.

Plus of course, I had lots of beautiful friends, loved ones and other supporters who came to share the love. Thanks you guys!

Bottom line: I had lots of fun, and thanks to a no-doze and two red-bulls I stayed up til the wee hours dissecting the entire thing with Timmy. The next show's going to be a heap tighter, that's for sure.

Oh and now I can now FINALLY acquit my grant! WOOT!

*Thanks to everybody who helped make this happen - way too many to mention but especially to BrizImprovFest. It's June 22-24 @ Metro Arts and it is going to ROCK!

5 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Not fair, I know, I know, neither isa black fella's bum..but liste, I wanna see you in action LIVE too ya know :)

Anonymous said...

I got to see this show and it was tremendous! Had an absolute ball. Jen, you are a wonder and I know you'll go far. Your characters were an absolute laugh, as were you and I really admire your improvisation. Each time you dared to go way of improvising I was scared for you but you pulled it off brilliantly every time. Thank you for a great night. Thank yu for splitting mine and my wife's sides. I look forward to seeing tons more of your "stand up" in future, (hopefully) as well as your improvised stuff. BrisVegas is going to miss you!

BTW - do you do any impersonations?

Jenny Wynter said...

Caz - You will my dear, I promise! PS I'm burning DVDs and will send one down for Bec soon. xx

Matty - Oh, I'm really chuffed by that - thanks Matt! So glad you guys came and laughed lots. Impersonations? Ummm, I haven't really tried many, I can do a pretty good Kasey Chambers (I just peg my nose) but that's about it. Hmm, I'm always open to suggestion though! :-)

Anonymous said...

Chuffed?

You're turning into an Englishman.

Pip pip!

Jenny Wynter said...

Bollocks!