Monday, May 21, 2007

Terrified

So the Canada jaunt is fast approaching and I'm excited: and dead scared.

Scared that we are going to a new country with absolutely no idea where we'll live, absolutely no idea where (and indeed, if!) we'll get work, and absolutely no idea where our lives will lead.

This would be scary in any situation, but with the welfare of two little bundles of lard (I'm sorry, I mean, joy) at stake, it's damn well giving Silence of the Lambs a run for its money.

The only comfort I'm taking at the moment is the knowledge that it is our choice to embark on this mad adventure, that no matter what happens at least we'll all be together and that my dear sister-in-law Cat (who is a very well-travelled kick-butt human being) told me she has felt sheer terror and uncertainty before every single trip she's ever taken.

All that, plus the knowledge that if it all goes horribly pear-shaped, I can write the screenplay and sell it as the next The Pursuit of Happyness. Though hopefully we won't be curling up in a public toilet somewhere, cuddled into a ball and weeping.

That would suck.

3 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

What parts of Canada are you going to?

Jenny Wynter said...

Well, I'm starting off in Calgary (for a 2 week improv training intensive) and then from there we're not sure. Either Vancouver or Toronto, plus we'll be doing a stint in Banff at some stage.

It's all very up in the air- probably why it's scary!!

Louise said...

Well I can tell you what parts of Montreal NOT to go to in order to avoid my HIDEOUSLY EVIL (de facto) mother-in-law...

But really- I've felt shit-scared everytime I've moved overseas- it's very normal. But somehow, things always work out in the end. I think about it as a road trip- the best road trips I've ever been on are the ones where you just get in the car and drive, with no idea where you are or where you are going. Coz there's no street directory for life!

Yes, you may call me Sensei.

Hahaha