Wednesday, May 24, 2006

But do bloggers like being blogged about?

I just stumbled across Mrs Mogul, a fabulous blog (well, I didn't so much stumble as bump straight into it via my comments' section) which sparked off some pretty interesting thoughts in my sleep-deprived head about whether people like being blogged about or not. Specifically other bloggers.

It had never really occurred to me that people WOULDN'T want to be blogged about, unless of course, you were reporting something majorly personal. But then, as I found out this week, sometimes people don't like what you write. Even if you may have a very valid point to make. (Ehem, did I just type that? I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought I was talking to my hubby.)

Yeah, so I guess some people don't like being 'blogged'. But then others do and indeed, often even see doing so as a nice gesture. I've been really getting more into the blog thing lately (if, by 'getting more into', you mean 'solidifying a serious addiction') and in doing so have witnessed many generous and awesome linkages to other bits of worthy 'net-splatter', as my mate Gempires calls it.

I LOVE this. I just think it is so cool that as writers online, we are not restricted to simply popping up the text and that's it, but purely through that incomprehensible-to-my-mind thing called technology, we can immediately open up doors for each other to entire other worlds of writing, and beyond. Pictures. Videos. Random pop-up boxes advertising you stuff you've never even heard of, let alone need. All this stuff would simply blow the mind right off my grandmother's head. (You think I'm exaggerating? There's a reason she's terrified of computers, you know.)

But most of all, I love that there are people in the blogosphere who can and do extend a hand to help encourage and support each others' blogs. Even those bloggers who already have a huge following and their blog takes up enough of their own thought-life there's barely room to remember to shave, still...some of them are willing to share the love around.

As someone who's only been blogging hard-core for a few months (and am already on the waiting list to have my eye surgically removed from my navel), I find that notion not only cool, but something to aspire to.

Rock on, people! It's not quite the Age of Aquarius (and I KNOW I'm not getting nude, I don't care how many nice posts you write) but seriously..."Can You Feel the Love Tonight??!!!

6 comments:

Girl Clumsy said...

Well I guess that's a cue to out myself!

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now after finding it through Vibewire.

I have my own too - but I have very few readers. ;) I started it as a travel diary, but once I came home there was no reason for anyone else to keep reading.

Most people I know are on livejournal, and I often read their diaries. I find it's a lazy but efficient way of keeping up with what friends are up to (namely one who's overseas).

I find a large number of blogs are just personal whining (mine included!). It's one reason I didn't want to get a livejournal - I was snobbish and wanted to be slightly different. ;)

However I am getting more enthusiastic about finding more theme specific blogs so I can learn new stuff, or more about things I'm interested in.

I'm also working on a second blog to post all the movie and theatre reviews I do for my radio station. I hope it will give me a permanent written record of some of my "creativity"!

Anyway, to answer your question of would I like being blogged about? Abso-freaking-lutely. I'm an attention whore. ;)

Natalie.

P.S. Oh yeah, feel free to slag me off. It's all attention, baby!

Miss Construed... said...

I'd personally hate to see my name pop on on a blog written by my Mother, one of my Sister's or my Hubby (as far as I know none of them have one-but then again mine is a 'secret' blog- so who know's; maybe they have one as well?

As for everyone else; as long as the comments are supportive, well-meaning and shed me in a positive light- I'm all for it. Go nuts!

Jenny Wynter said...

Girl Clumsy - I've been reading your VW blog too and really enjoying it. I know what you mean about it being a lazy way of keeping tabs on people. Sometimes I feel like my blog actually affects my friendships in a negative way because you almost fill like you've spilled a lot of the guts you would in real life anyway. So I'm a bit more lazy about catching up with people (mind you, my hands are pretty full which makes it tricky anyway.)

Anyway, so glad you dropped a comment: keep 'em (and your own blog entries) coming thick and fast!

RN_Buffoon: I've also got a secret blog which would KILL me if anyone I knew actually read it. If it got to that I'd just delete the whole thing. ;-)

TimT said...

I've just discovered if I mispronounced Girl Clumsy's name, she would be called Cirl Glumsy. Which sounds rather neat.

I always welcome abusive comments, but as I have masochistic tendencies, people usually take this in the wrong way and compliment me.

Just kidding. Anyway, this blogger loves being blogged about, CM. Blog away!

Girl Clumsy said...

Actually Glumsy suits me as well. I can often be a bit of a crybaby.

BTW, I don't post a lot of stuff in Vibewire because I wanted to try to avoid looking like a whiner. Most of that goes on my www.girlclumsy.blogspot.com one!

Cheers, Natalie.

Jenny Wynter said...

TimT - ah yes, and I've just discovered if I mispronounced your blog it would be "Will Fight for Tude" (not quite, but it sounds better that way).

GirlClumsy - I spend most of my life looking after two whiners and if I can still find them lovable - whines and all - then there's hope for us all. Viva la Whine!