Sunday, May 21, 2006

Reviewing the Review

I just came across this review on The Pun website the other day, while indulging in the little self-pleasuring rite otherwise known as googling. I performed in this show, (The Hot Comics' Showcase) on a few different nights so I'm afraid I can't even recall which night he's writing about except that I do remember there being a few brits in the crowd (as he mentions). Nonetheless, I've decided to seize upon an idea put forth by my 4ZZZ co-host and lovely friend Alex Oliver and 'review the review'.

Drumroll please...

***
Now, if I were a truly bitter wench, I would start this review with:

"A comedy review hey? Well maybe we need to get a different reviewer because this one did a pretty awful job. "

But I'm not. Because:

a) I'm not a wench;
b) I'm not truly bitter (just bitter); and
b) The reviewer didn't do an AWFUL job, just a lazy one.

Let me be clear - I don't object to the fact that the review is mostly negative. That's fair enough, it probably was quite a mediocre night for all I can remember. And I definitely did a few crappy performances during the fest. But what I do object to is the gross over-generalisations and over-use of 'each performer' did this, 'each performer' did that, 'each performer' sucked, and so on. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury:

The night wasn't a total loss though, as the question of the differences between men and women was answered thoroughly by each performer in turn.

Uh, sorry sir but that's just not true. As I said, I can't even remember the exact night but I know for a fact that I didn't do any of my hack 'battle of the sexes' material in Melbourne. I saved that gold for Tassie. ;-)

But wait, it gets better:

It was not that most of the performers were predominantly sexist, racist or unimaginative; it was the fact that it was all so profoundly uninteresting and dull. If just one of them had perhaps decided to do more than tell jokes about how a section of the audience were British (end of punchline) then I would have been impressed.

Uh, sorry sir but my BS detector is going off and I can't find the pin. From my (admittedly sketchy) memory, only a few comics at most even addressed the British component of the audience. But when you say "all" I assume you mean, well..."all." I'd like to inform you that there are other words in the dictionary. That's not confirmed but it is an educated guess - I've got an Oxford's sitting in my cupboard and it does look rather thick.

With all due respect sir, you are an obvious meistro of exaggeration, deception and bullshit: if this reviewing thing doesn't work out, might I suggest you consider a career in comedy?

On a personal note, at least I did rate a mention:

Of all the comics who stepped up (there were more than 10 during the night, with five minutes each), young Gareth Moloney got the most few laughs. Jenny Wynter got a clap at the end and a bit of a cheer for at least being confident, if not outwardly humorous.

Oh thank God. NOW I know what that cheer was for - my confidence. Because you know, I had started to wonder, wearing my humorous-ness on the inside and all.

Thanks reviewer.

I applaud and cheer your review for at least being confident, if not outwardly...you know, sensical.

*Did that sound way too bitter?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes it did you talentless hack

Huggies said...

This person hasn't been to see Rodney Rude have they.

Your 4ZZZ link didn't work properly because you forgot the FM bit of the web address. You've reminded me to tune into the ZZZ's because I haven't listened to that radio station for a very long time.

Cazzie!!! said...

It sounded bitter in a sweet kinda way..you are way too nice and I have to say, tehy can go stuff themselves if they wanna take the piss out of you because you or anyone else didnt recognise them in the show as being British..hell, arent half of us descended from the colonies that Britain produced here?? Why then are they here to visit such a penal colony? May they find all the humour in getting sunburnt on a cloudy day in this lovely land that has the big hole in the ozone layer!!
You are our funny comic mummy, just stay that way and BE YOU!! No need to change, perhaps next time ask where people are from in the audience and use it as a guide to take the piss out of their country...like with our Kiwi friends, "When are you goin' baaaak?" LOL (Mind you I got heaps of Kiwi friends and we all take the piss outta each other, its what mates do)

Jenny Wynter said...

anonymous - My first piece of hate mail!!! Wow, my career is really taking off. I am a huge fan of brevity: well done. However, I am an even huger fan of putting your money where your mouth is. "Say your name, say your name..." or rack off. (And just for the record, I am not a hack.)

Huggies - oops, sorry thanks for reminding me! I'll fix it up.

Cazzie - thanks for the kind words. I think the point the reviewer was making was that EVERY comedian made a joke about having Brits in the audience and he didn't like that. Even though it wasn't true, he didn't like it.

Anonymous - are you the reviewer?

Rebecca said...

Hi Comic Mummy,
Coolies, you are on radio. So if I come to Brizvegas, does this mean I will be able to dust off the old radio voice, and slip behind the mic for some banter?
A big ask I know, but trust me, not only can I talk, but I can push buttons too. Ahhh the memories. Ed Phillips taught me to panel, back in the days of him being a jock at Triple M here in Melbourne, and look at him now, the host of Temptation. Ok, so maybe a bad example, but still, I did learn a few things.
HooRoo
Rebecca

Jenny Wynter said...

Rebecca,

Of course! Love to have you on as a guest - I've been making a point of getting comics on this year which has been awesome.

And ZZZ is renowned for pushing buttons - panel-wise and other-wise. Make sure you stay in touch!

Huggies said...

Are you a regular on 4ZZZ and what time of the day/week ?

Jenny Wynter said...

Yah - I co-present the Frog and Peach every Friday with the awesome Alex Oliver. 3-6pm on ZZZ (that's 102.1FM).

It's all rather nutty - in fact it may well cause allergies.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you did a couple of reviews for The Pun, you know how hard it is to cover something in 250 words without generalising. In shows that feature several acts, that problem is amplified to the power of (n), with (n) being the number of acts in the show.

I reviewed The Lion, The Bitch and the Closet which was basically 2 and a half full length performances in one. I totally slagged off Christine Basil because I could only give her 30-50 words and I didn't have enough room to balance out what I was saying about her.

Jenny Wynter said...

Hey Chloe,

Of course I know you can't possibly cover EVERYTHING in that number of words. And especially when you're reviewing a show-case, you can't really go through each individual comedian in turn. I do acknowledge that.

But saying that EVERY comedian did this, and 'IF ONLY ONE comedian' had done something other than complete crap (paraphrased) is just not true. I thought the review - especially given it was a 'new comics' night and seemed to lack any patience towards that fact - was pretty mean-spirited. As, you might say, was mine.

But what are we saying here: that we can review and slag off a show but not review and slag off a review??!??!

I've written nasty reviews in my time too, but I'm also subject to criticism and I do believe that what goes around comes around. But I do think it sucks that most reviewers can dish it out without ever having to put themselves in a position where they have to take it.

I stand by my review. But thanks Chloe for taking the effort to comment with more eloquence than a 'you talentless hack'. :-)