Saturday, June 24, 2006

Cornflakes or just plain corny?

I thought Click was going to be just another silly Hollywood movie: not that it would even matter if it was: I'm one of those people who just loves going to the movies, regardless of whether the actual film is any good or not. I mean, of course I love it more when it's a good one, but just the experience of going - which to be honest, is sometimes the only way I can find the 'off' switch in this crazy head of mine - is enough. Especially when there's popcorn...mmmmm....

So I went tonight expecting little. What I didn't expect was to be genuinely moved. (Okay, okay, not just moved...I cried. And Leon - shut up.) Look, I'll be straight with you: this isn't the world's best movie and it's certainly got a decent per centage of Hollywood-per-frame, but: it still got to me. So kill me. I won't say much more, but let me share with you just one line:

"The leprechaun goes after the pot of gold, but when he gets there, there is no pot of gold. It's just cornflakes."

What can I say? This movie just made me want to come home, wrap my whole family up in fairy-floss and eat them. Not in a weird psycho-killer kinda way. Just in a lovely Enid Blyton kinda way. Or something. Okay, forget the fairy floss thing, alright? The point is, it made me want to love my family more and stop rushing to the seemingly important goals that turn out to be no more satiating than a bowl of breakfast cereal.

Here's to savouring the little moments. Like this one:


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

she;s sooo cute and her dance made me smile..hehe

Huggies said...

Gee that video is funny. Just need some silly tune in the background.

Rebecca said...

Hi Comic Mummy,
That video is great. I love the fact that at the end of looking like a ragdoll puppet, she does the "Ok, you are soooo weird for looking at me" look that kids do so well. I wish I could do that, but I guess like baby teeth, it is lost at an early age.
HooRoo
Rebecca

TimT said...

This movie just made me want to come home, wrap my whole family up in fairy-floss and eat them. Not in a weird psycho-killer kinda way. Just in a lovely Enid Blyton kinda way.

You certainly have a way with these gnomic utterances, CM. Maybe you should change your name to Gnomic Mummy.

Miss Construed... said...

Without killing the moment...I thought that the leprechauns Owned the pots of gold??

I can't wait to see this movie- my fave Adam Sandler song of all time is The Goat- my best friend and I did a spectacular rendition at my little Sister's wedding that went down a treat with her new in-laws; let me tell you!

Then they kicked us out. So we stole their beer.

Loved the kideo...

Big Mama said...

Good post! You suckered me in at the end with the adorable baby-girl... I need to start adding videos of the kids....

Jenny Wynter said...

Mrs Mogul - it makes me smile too and I've watched it about twelve times already.

Huggies - I think that's what I like most about it though: the fact she can dance up such a storm without the slighest need for a tune. That's joy, baby.

Rebecca - yes, it's true. I envy my kids' reckless uncensored imaginations: I'm still trying to recover mine.

TimT - I'd love to retalliate some witty word-play on your blog title, but the heavy-going drugs for my back have knocked all funniness out of me. To be continued...

RN_Buffoon - hmmmm...I'll be looking into the whole leprechaun thing. If you're right, I'll be writing the writers of "Click" a huffy letter.

Big Mama - that's me, suckering people in at every given opportunity. Welcome on board!!

Anonymous said...

If someone called me a Gnomic, I'd think they were having a go at me, since I'm quite tall. So I guess I'd hit back by calling them an Oxymoron.

Not that I'm belittling you by suggesting you're Gn... erm, that is ... nevermind!

Jenny Wynter said...

And here I was thinking you were implying I was cute and cuddly and had a beard...

Oxymoron.

There. Happy now?!?!

TimT said...

I eat my Nutri Grain every morning! It makes me grow up big and strong and gives me enough Irony to get me through the day!