Sunday, June 18, 2006

Favourites schmavourites

Ella: "Hey Mummy..."

Me: "Yes?"

Ella: "Daddy's my favourite, but don't worry...I still love you and Caleb."

Me: "Oh that's nice honey...hang on, WHAT?"

***

I relayed this to Tim, who tried to hide his amused pleasure with a look of sympathy and an attempt to reason with our increasingly un-PC daughter.

Him: "We don't have favourites Ella. We all love each other the same!"

Ella: "Yeah, I know that Daddy. But I like you the best."

Ouch.

But before Tim could console me, I shook it off, shrugged and said "Yeah, well once I'm in America and I'm the one who hardly sees the kids all week, then maybe I'll be the favourite. Huh? Huh? HUH?! Put that in your super-daddy pipe and smoke it!"

See? I'm so above that 'favourites' rubbish. I am, how you say? "Untouchable."

(Ouch.)

6 comments:

Merrilee said...

Well, kids like to tell the truth. You're obviously just not making the everyday special enough for Ella's liking. Geeze mum, don't you know anything!?!?!
;-P

(jokes, of course. you're awesome!)

Louise said...

Popular schmopular- you must be doing something right because I just discovered your official jennywynter.com website is banned here in China! You know you're on the right track when you scare the communists!

Jenny Wynter said...

Mezz - I'm thinking of resorting to cutting her Vegemite sandwiches into little star shapes...or moons...or octagons or something. THEN she'll love me!!!

Louise - Oh that's brilliant! Damn, I wish I'd known that earlier, I'd love to have put it on my business cards: JennyWynter.com - banned in China, so it must be good. ;-)

Huggies said...

Well gee you could get her back big time at some point. So who's your favourite now hehe.

Gemnastics said...

Jen, if it's any consolation I told my dad at age 3: "Dad, when I grow up and become seven, I'm gonna marry you." Even if he hadn't disowned me years ago, I don't think that would have eventuated.

Jenny Wynter said...

Huggies - yeah, well yesterday I whispered in Tim's ear "Just so you know I have a favourite too, I just don't go round announcing it publicly." Take THAT!

Gem - hmmmm, little girls and their daddies...maybe I've just gotta admit defeat. Damn!