Monday, June 05, 2006

Help Wanted: How to Get the Most Out of the Comedy Adventure Abroad

This trip is making me bold.

Just the thought of travelling to the great big comedy beyond to learn, to be inspired and to perform, has given me the guts to write to Michael Lorne, the guy who created (and still produces) Saturday Night Live.

You see? I would never dare such a thing usually, but now I'm going and I know I'll only be there for a week or so, I figure, 'what the hell?' Seriously, why not? The worst that can happen is he doesn't e-mail me back (well, no, the worst that could happen is that Lorne suddenly rocks up on my door and in his jet-lagged delerium starts running through my house throwing muesli all over the floors and singing "Oops I Did It Again") but the second worst that can happen is that he doesn't e-mail me back. Which is going to happen if I don't write, guaranteed. I at least want a ticket in the lottery.

So yeah, I'm a little blissfully naieve (though I prefer 'refreshingly unjaded') and therefore am looking for some willing collaborators in my plan to take over the world, naieve bold move by naieve bold move. Did you hear that? That was me, asking for help.

You see, I want to make sure I make the most of absolutely every SECOND that I'm on this trip - sleep will just have to wait for the flight home.

So I need suggestions and ideas, people! Most specifically:
  • people I should try to meet (if you actually have contact details I'll love you long time)
  • places I should see (touristy and comedy-oriented)
  • shows I should catch (especially improv and comedy)
  • tips on cool (and relatively inexpensive) places to eat/sleep/scratch myself

Feel free to go to town with suggestions, too. They can be really ambitious and/or crazy, in fact the moreso the better (obviously keeping it clean, people, as I don't think the receipt for the Debbie Does Dallas festival would go down too well with my grant people). Remember, I'll be blogging everything so if I do manage to take you up on your suggestion, you'll get to live out the whole fabulous experience yourself! You know, in an indirect, written kinda way. I'll even take photos!

Best of all, all helpful tips will be honoured with...my ever-lasting friendship. It even comes with a life-time warrantee: ain't nothing breaking that sucker.

Either post suggestions as a comment OR e-mail me: contact@jennywynter.com

5 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Places to eat..I say SUBWAY EAT FRESH!!! I would wanna meet the guy that markets Subway and thank him for saving my life last year. IT was their food that kept me going and not the dehydrated food the hospital provided.

Anonymous said...

hey there - long time no freedom from london oppression to write witty-like at my friends!?!
congrats on the grant! like gore vidal sez: when one of my friends succeeds a little piece of me dies. what a bitch eh? no, great stuff. being overseas and inflicting yrself on folks in the land of whitebread is much fun, i tell u.
a few things:
1) naive (can't remember how to hyperlink; go look at dictionary.com. hey, someone's gotta do pedantic round here.
2) margaret cho - funny as fuk and really dirty.
sarah silverman - even more funny, dirty and sooo dry.
3) woody allen - u never know, u might see him. then u can run up to him dennis pennis style and say "woody, how come yr movies all suck now?"
4)tenacious d - fat guys with acoustic guitars who don't shave much. bless.
there's more comin....

Huggies said...

I think you should try and meet or visit the following people

* David Letterman - You can get tickets to his shows via The Late Show website.

* Jay Leno - The same sort of thing as Letterman.

* Eddie Murphy - Funniest Black Man.

* Steven Wright - He sounds like he enjoys life so much.

I think you gotta head to places like Texas and note how they live as this would make for a good laugh in a show back here.

Enchantress said...

Here are my two cents (from a silly American mom who adore comedy herself):

1.) I've never been to New York, but have been to Vegas several times. Remember, it may be a huge city, but it is in the middle of a dessert. Hot!Hot!Hot! Sunscreen and water will be your best friends.

2.You can walk most anywhere, so take a good pair of walking shoes.

3.If you want to go to shows (comedy or otherwise), book before you leave. You may be standing in line for hours if you just wait till you get there.

4.Staying on the Strip (Las Vegas Blvd.) is expensive, but sometimes deals crop up. Check Hotels.com often. My hubby stayed at the Tropicana for around $45 dollars per night. Not bad, considering it can run three to four times that much.

5. Hubby and I love the buffet at the Orleans hotel (I think it's called the French Market). It's not to pricey and you can choose from all sorts of international foods. Yum! If your watching your budget (especially with the kids) Slots-of-fun has HUGE hotdogs for .99 cents. They're supposed to be tourist worthy (hubby and I always forget to go). I also like 'N and Out Burger.

I fear I'm blogging on your blog so, if you wanna pick my brain, feel free to email me. Congratulations and good luck!

Jenny Wynter said...

Oh this is brilliant guys! Thanks so much and keep the ideas coming.

Caz - hehe, nothing like global chains to make you feel at home...

Leon - awesome, I'm especially keen to try and catch Sarah Silverman. And Woody Allen... whoa. I don't think ALL his movies have sucked of late, by the way.
But then, you always have been an over-opinionated film snob. ;-)(You're about the only person I can say that to by the way, who I know would take it the way it was intended. Love ya.)

Huggies - SUCH a great call about the Live shows - I'll totally chase up tix. And yeah, it's only just occurred to me how much material might come up just through the act of travelling. Las Vegas alone...that's gonna be nuts.

Enchantress - thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm finding it hard to get tips on Vegas so that's awesome. I'm sure I'll be forced to ingest at least one hot dog during my time in the USA: it's nice to have a hot-dog hot-tip. :-)