Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Verdict (or 'Not Guilty!')

I'll confess something I've wanted to write about for days now - we had a pregnancy scare this week. I can actually write 'scare' now which in itself invokes a great deal of another emotion: that being 'relief'.

Not that I wouldn't have been happy about having another baby. You know how clucky I've been lately. Why, I'm practically sprouting feathers and hurtling my face towards the floor in an attempt to locate grain. But the relief of being able to savour my US comedy adventure free of the shackles of morning sickness and all-consuming fatigue...well, it's damn near palpible.

In fact, excuse me a moment while I just....

...okay I'm back now. Sorry bout that, just felt like celebrating for a moment by doing a little Irish jig.

So the main reason for the 'scare' was that I've spent the past week or so feeling rather nauseous. In fact, constantly nauseous. Only now we've established the reason is NOT family member number five, I seem to have pieced it together: I think I might be a little anxious.

Groundbreaking stuff, I know.

I have to calm myself and remind myself that this entire trip is going to be wonderful. Amazing. Potentially life-changing. I mean, I know it is all that and more - yet I can't help feeling angsty at the prospect of leaving my children for that long. While I know they'll be unbelievably well looked after (my sister is under strict instructions that while she's to look after my children and love them with all she's got, she is under no circumstances, permitted to be better than me at it - you know, not too many outings or extravagant crafty stuff) I still can't help but feel nervous about it. And guilty....oh boy, I've got oodles I could write about the guilt associated with this entire undertaking, and perhaps I shall another time. But for now, I'm just trying to build a bridge and get over it. Because:

a) the last thing I want to do is ruin this amazing opportunity with something as unproductive as guilt; and

b) I'm sure that one day Ella will say to me with great sincerity: "Mum, I think it's awesome that you did that. You rock."

"And thanks for the Las Vegas snow dome."

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi Comic Mummy,
I know the feeling. I am as clucky as all hell at the moment. In fact anyone one under the age of 30 is getting the baby eyes from me.
My problem is the factory has not only closed it's doors, but the building has been bulldozed, land sold off, and apartments are now being built there.
HooRoo
Rebecca

PS: I always laugh at the Bris Vegas snow domes you can buy. That and people who go swimming at Kodak Beach (if it is still called that, that is).

Huggies said...

So who is filling your shoes on the Frog & Peach show ?

Do you plan to ring Alex while your in the U.S.A. ?

Rebecca said...

Oooh, oooh, oooh! Can it be me? Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!

Oh bugger, I live in the wrong city. Do you have a relay station in Melbourne?

Jenny Wynter said...

Rebecca - you know I think the only people who call it Kodak Beach are people who don't live here (and probably the only people who swim in it too...)

Huggies - no replacement as yet. I am, how you say? Irreplaceable. Moiahahaha!

Rebecca - no relay station in Melbourne as of yet. Hell, half the time we don't even have head-phones...such is life producing radio on a budget!

Miss Construed... said...

From One who abandoned my kids with the grandparents for the entire weekend while I sloughed it out at the pub- I can only wish that you pick them up. Eventually.

Have Fun.

Guilt free.

Pendullum said...

Have a great trip...
It is hard to leave them behind and amazing that your body is reminding you that it is stressful...
Take a deep breath...
and hopefully you can also bring home the Jesus Christ salt and pepper shakers from sin city along with the snow globe...
Have a gas and have them laughing in the aisles!!!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST!!!! I love your blog, VERY WELL DONE! :o)

Jenny Wynter said...

rn_buffoon - thank you! I'll do my best.

pendullum - I'll keep my eyes peeled for the shakers...I think the fabulous tackines of Vegas is one of the things I'm looking forward to most, actually.

jon - great to see you round again. And ta. You make me blush.

Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
mobile phone evolution domain reseller contact lenses eye care cockayne syndrome facelift watershed water ionizers web servers default mime type xml kramer of football financial advisor mortgage in britain diet pill addiction cypershop online notebook laptop dance pictures broadband phone company