Friday, September 21, 2007

Oh boy...it's started.

So Ella has been kissing boys at school. Not one, not two, but THREE different suitors, mind you.

Now, my reactions to this are varied:

1. I can laugh at the fact she is just like I was at the same age. I clearly remember pashing my childhood sweetheart at preschool, then later getting into trouble...not for kissing, but for making him cry when I dumped him after a rather lewd 'pulling up my skirt mid-snog' incident. That's justice for ya.

2. I can be happy that she feels she can be so honest with me about such things and celebrate for a moment, the wonderful trust that obviously exists and thus, the marvellous mother I must be for enabling such wonderful trust to exist.

3. I can freak out that she is five years old and is already becoming WAAAAAAY too popular - and enamoured with - the opposite sex for my liking. I mean, she's kissed three boys in two days. If she continues at such a rate, she'll wind up eight years old, living in a country town with thirty-three babes hanging off her. The sling alone would break her back. I can thus lament for a moment, the crapola sandwich I've led her into and thus, the horrible mother I must be for enabling such crapola filling to exist.

Ayayay! Any advice?

We wrapped up our heart-to-heart today with this:

Ella: "I want to marry Hubert*! I want to marry him!" (Note: name has been changed to protect the smoochee. Couldn't I have picked something better than 'Hubert'???)

Me: "Really? But what about Gabey?" (Her sweetheart-in-waiting back home in Oz).

Ella: "But Mum....he's just my boyfriend!"

Welcome to the 21st Century, kiddo.

1 comment:

Cazzie!!! said...

So cute :)